People’s Assembly of Aristotelis Municipality Halkidiki Greece
The bill of Parliament , «Environmental upgrade and private urban development – Sustainable development of settlements – Regulations of forest legislation», which is about to be voted by the Greek Parliament, violates the Greek Constitution legislation, grants public woodlands to private interests and undermines the environmental protection laws of the forests.
At the same time, in the bill mentioned above, there are special clauses that explicitly reflect the interests of the Canadian company Eldorado Gold and lift any existing legal obstacles for the company and its mining plans in Halkidiki Greece. Furthermore the bill legitimises any existing illegalities. More specifically we refer to the article 6, paragraph b of the initial bill and article 8 paragraphs a, b, c ,d of the bill amendment.
We believe that the above special clauses and amendments introduced by the ministry of environment and climate change ( YPEKA) :
- serve the specific interests of Eldorado Gold
- legitimise the hitherto illegalities of Eldorado Gold
- create legislation that benefits multinational corporations and doubtful investments against the public interest and the environment
- are not beneficial for the public interest but only benefits the interests of private investors
In case you are unaware, we should like to inform you that for a long period of time we have been leading a titanic struggle to protect the environment and our lives from the destructive mining projects. For many months we have been denouncing documented illegalities that are about to be legalised by the above parliamentary bill.
Eldorado Gold has arrogantly violated the law, knowing that there will be government support and legislative settlement of its irregularities.
On the contrary, the people of Halkidiki, who have been calling upon the existing laws, seeking legitimacy and denouncing any unlawfulness, defending the social interest, have been prosecuted and imprisoned.
We would like to highlight that:
- a state that legislates accordingly to the needs and requirements of private investors against the public interest cannot be regarded well – governed, fair and civilized.
- the MPs exist in the Greek parliament as agents of Greek citizens and not of the TROIKA (EC,ECB,IMF) and private investors.
- the Constitution provides for the right and the duty of civil disobedience.
We invite you as a member of the summer chamber of the Greek parliament to rise to the occasion and vote against this bill.
On Friday 1st of August, 2014 we, the citizens of Aristotelis Municipality of Halkidiki, for one more time, in order to defend our homeland, our lives and the lives of the generations yet to come, are going to demonstrate in the forest of Skouries demanding the following:
The immediate withdrawal or non voting for the bill that will allow the destruction of the forest of Skouries
The immediate cease of the illegal and devastating activities of the Canadian company Eldorado Gold